Monday, September 13, 2010

Rough Day

Today was one of those days that I knew would happen, but dreaded its occurance.

Lake Eerie lived up to her reputation: fickle, unpredictable and wild.  We left Sandusky, Ohio and
our goal was to make it to Port Colborn, Ontario.  There were six foot waves!!! They had forecasted 2-4 foot waves!!  So between leaky portholes, leading to wet beds , and an intense game of pass the bucket(seasickness  :(   ,  and  no one daring to go below to use the restroom, we decided to take a hiatus in a town in Ohio (the name escapes me- it was solid ground) to decide what to do next.  After a few hours on dock, we decided to go the last 2 hours to Port Colburn to meet up with our friends that are going into the Welland Canal tomorrow, too.

Today was a real growing day for us all.  Despite that, I think of the nice blessings of the day: the sunrise over Lake Eerie, the green metal bench (ironic, huh?) that returned my facial pallor to pink, Emily quoting Sid the Sloth from Ice Age when things were really bad, "This is the wierdest herd I have ever travelled with!!", a family of monarch butterflies travelling with our boat the last hour, a great laundry facility at the end of the dock, a nice boat captain giving us tips for our travels down the canal, a playground that to me was no less than the rainbow after the flood, a boy for Thomas to roughhouse with, and the sweet kisses of my family goodnight all tucked in safely at port. To top it all off, a perfectly still clear night with a crescent moon and thousands of stars! Wow !! My thankful list exceeds my complaint list!!

I did however inform my husband that when it is time to enter Lake Eerie on the return, every alarm bell in this mother duck's head will be screaming...gather the ducklings and abandon ship!!  I just may drive from this point home.  Tom may need some company.  Any takers?

1 comment:

  1. Charlene,

    great to read about your voyage and adventures, Katie clued me into your blog. I'm always happy to help my friend Tom out in the spring on the fine Lake Erie. be safe and have fun!

    justin

    ReplyDelete