Monday, September 20, 2010

Amsterdam, NY

Sept. 19


We started the day on Lock 17. It was a big one, we dropped 40 feet. This lock was different in that it had a door that was counterbalanced with cement and raised and lowered rather than swinging open. Really cool to watch, then we had to go under it and feel the spray of the rusty metal door! Tom got some much needed cleaning done. He swabbed the decks and I drove the boat. I was winding through the Erie canal, watching for half submerged logs( there were many)- dodging them as I went. I had to keep chanting - green on my right red on my left to remember which way to go through the buoys.  Since we are headed out to sea ,(Atlantic ocean) it was the opposite...that is why I had to keep reminding myself of the opposite-green on my right,red on my left!!!! It was all so stressful for me, I just did not want to be the one driving the boat and run it aground.


We arrived at Amsterdam dock and there was a nice playground and a nice pedestrian walkway over train tracks into town.  We walked into town for dinner, through some interesting neighborhoods.  Along the way was a RAC (Rent A Center) . Thomas ran up to the window and pressed his face against the glass and shouted, " Look at that bed, I love that bed, Dad please buy me that bed!"  Poor boy has had a few too many nights in the sleeping bag I guess.  Tom and I did feel a little badly for him, so we let him sleep part of the night with us!

On the way home from dinner, a train went by while we were above it on the walkway.  It was really fun to look down onto the train.  And the trains kept coming on the hour , every hour, all night long...blowing their whistles...only steps away from the boat.  Whew- not much sleep !!

No comments:

Post a Comment